"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me.... I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me"
(Matthew 25:35-40, NIV)
What is Christian Care Ministries?
Christian Care Ministries (CCM) is an ecumenical ministry presenting Jesus Christ to individuals and families in Lee County, Alabama by providing food, clothing, transportation and other life necessities in a compassionate and caring fashion. CCM is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, staffed by volunteers who have a passion to improve the living conditions of people in need. CCM works in partnership with churches, para-church ministries, civic groups, and other organizations to provide hope and help for those in need in Lee County.
We are called by Christ to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit those in prison. The first century church understood this mandate quite literally. The writer of the letter of 1 John states, "if anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth" (1 John 3:17-18, NIV). We also believe that Jesus' words are to be taken literally, and that he requires us to reach out to those in need.
Our mission is to present Christ to a needy world by providing a ministry of compassion and service to persons in the Lee County community. Among the areas of direct ministry are:
- Soup Kitchen: CCM has established a soup kitchen that feeds the needy in the community each Thursday. There is a dining room on location at 1000 Samford Court, Opelika, Alabama, where those that are able may come to eat. Plates are also delivered to the homebound within the community each Thursday.
- Food Pantry: CCM has established a food pantry that works closely with East Alabama Food Bank and other area food pantries to provide food to hungry people in the community.
- Clothes Closet: CCM has established a clothes closet which is maintained at all times with donated clothes, shoes, coats, hats, etc. Volunteers clean, organize and assist with the distribution of these items.
- Transportation: CCM is the governing organization for the East Alabama Transportation Ministry, which provides vehicles to individuals in need of transportation for work and other legitimate needs.
CCM is committed to caring for the whole person in all that we do. If we are not able to directly respond to a need, we seek to refer individuals to those agencies and ministries that can provide necessary assistance.
Statement of Purpose and Belief
Christian Care Ministries is and organization dedicated to the purpose of sharing the love of Jesus Christ through a ministry of compassion to those in need in the areas of food, housing, transportation, employment skills and home arts. We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and is the only source of our salvation. We believe that the nature of, and the reasons for, His life and ministry are revealed in the Bible. We believe that He has called us to be co-laborers with Him in His work.
How You Can Help
Christian Care Ministries calls on fellow believers in Jesus Christ to join with us in this ministry of compassion. CCM is in need of your participation in four very major ways:
- Prayer Support: This is a faith-based program; that means far more than merely being a "religious" or "church-related" ministry. We are dependent on the resources of our Heavenly Father as we endeavor to participate with Him in meeting the needs of people in our community.
- Volunteer Support: CCM needs volunteers to help prepare and serve the food each week the Soup Kitchen, volunteers to help screen cars, participate in fund raising activities, to serve as a contact person in your church or organization, and to assist with clerical duties.
- Financial Support: We are in need of your generous financial support to supply food for the Soup Kitchen and stock the Food Pantry, to make donated vehicles ready to use and to help maintain those vehicles once in the hands of participants, etc.
- In-Kind Items: Donations of food, clothing, vehicles for the Transportation ministry, and other ministry related items are welcomed. Write to CCM at the post office box or contact any member of the CCM board if you have any items to donate.
Christian Care Ministries
1000 Samford Court
P.O. Box 862
Opelika, AL 36803-0862
The above is a "draft," work in progress, web page for a Christian Care Ministries website.
If you have any corrections, changes, suggestions, additions, etc., please email them to the webmaster at: